Once again, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Right Ben? 🙂
We kicked off our Christmas series yesterday called, "Wise Men," talking about how the tremendous lessons their lives illustrate for us.
We called week 1, "Wise Men Still Seek Wisdom." In it, we were trying to figure out how the Christmas-wise-men even knew to look for Jesus after his birth. To do so, we traveled back 600 years BEFORE the birth of Chris, to Daniel 2. It is the story of how the ancestors of the Christmas wise men ("the magi") had their first encounter with a prophet of God.
We saw some way cool stuff.
- The Challenge — This week presented a unique challenge in both the VOLUME of material we were covering (49 verses) as well as the DEPTH of the material (history & prophecy).
- The King — The king we saw was Nebuchadnezzar 2. His wikipedia entry notes:
- Saddam Hussein thought he was the reincarnation of Nebuchadnezzar
- The first ship Neo encounters in The Matrix was called Nebuchadnezzar
- The Prophecies — Wow. There are some RICH PROPHECIES in this chapter. The amazing fulfilled prophecies are one of the reasons I believe the Bible is THE Word of God! Check out this reference.
- Lost Ticket — In Proverbs 2:1-6, we talked how diligent we should be in searching God's word for wisdom. I asked everyone, "What if someone gave you a lottery ticket and you won, but you lost it in your house? How hard would you search for it?" For this guy, it's not hypothetical.
- True Wisdom — There was so much more I wanted to share about "wisdom." Here's a handful of references I had to leave on the cutting room floor:
Don't forget that this next Sunday is our "Christmas Big Day." We will be looking at the wise men in Matthew 2 and talking about how "Wise Men Still Seek Jesus." So, INVITE A FRIEND! We've all got friends who are looking for a place to worship this Christmas and would come with us if we invite them. Pray for them & invite them to join you next Sunday at 9, 10:30, or 11a.