(I really wanted to put this entry out earlier. But I've been dealing with some nasty stomach sickness for 1-2 days which knocked me out of commission. My back went out at the same time, so I was getting it from both directions…my stomach was gurgling at me & back was yipping at me. Anyway, enough about this stuff.)
This "Uncertain" series came about because we knew people were concerned: the economy is down, people fear losing their jobs, the geopolitical climate is changing. So we asked people what they wanted to hear. Here is what we landed on:
- "Why do I exist?" (Jan 4)
- "What's this world coming to?" (Jan 11)
- "How can a good God let bad things happen?" (Jan 18)
- "What happens to people when they die?" (Jan 25)
Sunday was about "Why do I exist?"
- Salvations — We had several people say they received Christ Sunday. God's been moving BIG time in that way recently. From our 3 Christmas services, to Sheryl Lovich's visitation & funeral, to our 3 services Sunday, people keep getting saved!!!
- Where's Your Fruit??? — God's not going to let me rest until EVERY person can point to someone at Grace (or at another church) where God used THEM PERSONALLY to touch them & bear fruit in their lives. I got this excellent email after the service:
- "Subject: New Expectations for 2009 and Beyond. I thought you might like to see the inspiring story from one of our Gracers! It made me think of your sermon Sunday, and this is about the 5th person whom I have heard talk of the fruit they want in their lives…!"
- Cutting Room Floor — I mentioned that I could have spoken for weeks on the topic. Here were some of the sections I considered using:
- 8:30a Service
- I spilled water all over myself during my closing prayer. I grabbed the water bottle, but the top wasn't screwed on. So I turned it into a geyser, all over myself.
- After service, someone points out to me that, AFTER I told people I'm a "recovering control freak" I made people say "Hi Tim!" AGAIN because it wasn't loud enough!! 🙂
- 10:00a Service
- The example of "Jabba-the-Hut-Christians" came to me. I went with it & cracked myself up while doing it.
- I notice people sitting cheek-to-cheek and ask people to more to our 8:30a or 11:30a service to free up space for visitors.
- 11:30a Service
- I use the term "Professional Christian" (pronounced "Pro-FESS-ee-uh-null KREEE-stee-un") for those people who've got their Christian game on (i.e. going through the motions) without God having their heart.
Be sure to bring a friend to next week's topic, "What's This World Coming To?" If you aren't bringing a guest yourself, then love people enough to start coming to the 1st or 3rd service (8:30a or 11:30a)!!!