This morning, we finished our 2-week series on communication called "Bars" (like the signal-strength "bars" on your cell phone). Last week, Pastor Brian talked about "Dealing with Dead Zones" (or communication-killers). And this week I talked about, "Upgrading your Signal" (how to improve communication).
I got A LOT of feedback saying God was speaking to people's hearts. (As I said, we ALL can grow in communication.)
Several 'thots' from today:
- Cutting Room Floor — It KILLED me to cut out a section I had on how "The Tower of Babel" (from Genesis 11:1-9). It's the story of one society's dream of creating a "God-free-zone / celebration-of-humanity." The story illustrates what happens when there is a breakdown in communication. So, here it is:
- Extra References — I added these verses verbally today:
- Getting Feedback — I encouraged everyone to care enough about people to ask 2-3 people who know them for feedback on how they can grow in communication. Here an example of how to ask:
- "I really want to grow in communication. And I value your opinion. So, is there any way you see that I can communicate better? I promise not to interrupt you, or get mad or take it personally. I just want to grow."
- FYI — One guy grabbed me after worship and (tongue-in-cheek) said he'd decided to ask his mother & preschool son for feedback. That's one way to get out of it! 🙂
For Further Study — As we talked about from Prov 15:28, God wants us to STUDY how to be better communicators. The book I referenced is called "Crucial Conversations." I blogged about it here last November. (As I told everyone, it's not a "Bible Study" book. It's a book that has a great way of phrasing Biblical principles on successful communication.)
- 2nd Service Attenders
— Could you help free up "prime visitor real estate" in our 2nd Worship by coming to 1st Worship? (It'd be a HUGE help!)
Next week, we kick off a new series through The Book of Ruth called "Choices." Here is what we're covering:
- "Choosing your Family" – Ruth 1:1-18 (Sept 14)
- "Choosing your Attitude" – Ruth 1:19-2:18 (Sept 21)
- "Choosing to Follow" – Ruth 2:19-3:6 (Sept 28)
- "Choosing to Risk" – Ruth 3:7-18 (Oct 5)
- "Choosing to Wait" – Ruth 4:1-22 (Oct 12)
Make sure you register to "test drive" a small group during those 5 weeks!