Yesterday was week #3 of our "Seasons" parenting series ("Guiding Kids through the Seasons of Life.") The message is online here.
Our topic was "Biodome 2." (Huh????) We walked through the 6 needs that God designed into every child from 1 Thessalonians 2:4-12.
Here are a few thoughts:
- A Sense of God — The message came together supernaturally quick this past week. (Yea God!)
Biodome 2 — I wonder if I’m the only guy that’s used Biosphere 2 as the theme for their message? I’m ALMOST POSITIVE I’m the only guy to relate it to parenting. 🙂
- A Team Effort — Someone asked me in the Prospective Members Class yesterday if other people ever have input on my messages. Absolutely.
- After we chose the topic, a team brainstormed on the whole series
- After I nailed down the individual weekly topics, another team brainstormed on that week’s topic
- After I drafted the actual message, I had a Friday morning review by the staff pastors
- After a couple more days of mulling over it, I had a final Sunday morning review by Pastor Brian Gann
- Physical/Spiritual Connection — I keep making the point that God designed EVERYTHING physical to picture something spiritual. That’s Romans 1:20. For example, God designed physical children to picture spiritual children. That’s 1 Thessalonians 2:11.
- Best Parenting Book? — It’s Proverbs.
Book I Referenced? — "The Danger of Raising Nice Kids." I reviewed it here.
- You Talking to Me??? — With all due respect to Robert De Niro, I had several people ask me after service, "You talking to me?" They asked, "Were you talking to me today in the message?" Let me answer this unequivocally. No!
- Special Guest — My mom showed up for the second service today. A special treat. I got choked up a few times. A longtime member caught me afterwards and called me a "softie."