Yesterday was week 3 of our "N-UFF" personal finance series.
Our topic was "N-UFF Self," based
on Luke 12:13-21.
The day was based on a 3 key thoughts.
- That the man who interrupted Jesus in Luke 12 could have lived today — he overlooked what God was doing in people’s hearts around him because his mind was wholly focused on himself & his portfolio
- That the continual desire for more (i.e. "covetousness") can be just as enslaving as debt
- That the ONLY way God frees us from the bondage of the desire for more is by giving
Here are a few other thoughts from the day:
- Tougher Topic — When I speak on the topic of generosity — and particularly, giving to God through your local church as 1 Corinthians 16:1-2 teaches — I sense the pressure to communicate well…to communicate God’s true heart. I wanted to avoid the stereotypical approach that turns people away from the freedom God desires for them.
- "Regul-ous" — Yes, today I accidentally invented another new word. I was trying to say "regularly generous." I said "regulous." God has a great way of keeping me humble. 🙂
- Cutting-Room Floor — In my final prep, I "demoted" 1 Timothy 6:17-19 from a "turn-in-your-Bibles-to" passage to a "listen-to-this-Bible-quote" passage. But the verse is SO applicable to our society. So…here it is!
- 17 Command those who are
rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain
riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. 18 Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, 19 storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
- 17 Command those who are
- Communion-Shift — We shifted the communion from the end of service to between the singing & teaching. Anyone notice? Any thoughts? I enjoyed the sense of seamlessness it provided.
- Recent Feedback
- One couple emailed me to say they were "inspired…to stay the course on our financial direction…[we] have spent the last year making some life changing decisions around our finances and you are just helping to confirm that we are on the right path…we feel so blessed to be around…everyone at Grace."
- Another person grabbed me yesterday & said that they were "regular givers" but never really understood God’s heart for us to continue to grow to (& beyond) the "tithing" level (i.e. 10%) until yesterday’s message.
- If you have an story of how God is working in you or speaking to you, would you shoot it to me here?
- 1st Service Shift — One lady caught me & said she had decided to start attending 1st service. That is awesome! We need 50-100 others to make that call too! (We were over 1000 for the 3nd
week in a row. Praise God for the hearts, lives, & families we can see God impact for his kingdom!)