Yesterday, was week #3 of our 9-week series through the book of James called "How Faith Works." This week's topic was "How Faith Works in Learning" from James 1:19-27.
Here are some bonus thoughts…this week's is a major download of my research that hit the cutting room floor. I think it'll be helpful to you:
- The Primacy of the Word — God calls us to a "high view" of Scripture.
- God magnifies his word above his name (Psalm 138:2)
- The Bible is the word of God & not man…and works for those who believe (1 Thessalonians 2:13)
- The Bible is more authoritative than the audible voice of God (2 Peter 1:16-21)
- The Call to Learn — God designed us to relate to him by cultivating a lifestyle of learning.
- Jesus tells us to learn from him (Matthew 11:29)
- We grow by feeding on the word of God (1 Peter 2:2)
- We grow by sharing the word of God (Ephesians 4:15)
- The Path to Success — Success/prosperity comes by keeping the word of God (Joshua 1:6-8)
- The Big 3 in Communication — Being swift to hear, slow to speak, & slow to wrath is critical to our relationships with God & each other:
- There's more hope for a fool than someone quick to speak (Proverbs 29:20)
- Being slow to anger is indispensable to Christlike leadership (Titus 1:7)
- People without control over their emotions are defenseless (Proverbs 25:28)
- The Importance of Obedience — Jesus questions how someone could call him "Lord" & not do what he says (Luke 6:46-49)
- When God Hates Religion — God hates any religious rituals (ancient or contemporary) when someone is not committed to personal righteousness and acts of mercy toward the suffering (Isaiah 1:11-17)
- Series Feedback — "…the whole series in James has been like a slap in the face for me. When you spoke about the five obstacles yesterday, I could see why I'm not making progress in my walk. I'm going back to drinking milk until I really get it – I thought Proverbs would be a good place to start. If you have any other thoughts for a baby Christian please let me know. I'm also starting a new prayer journal…I haven't been this excited since I was saved…”
Next week's topic is "How Faith Works in Diversity" from James 2:1-13. Don't forget to bring a friend to Peter Loth on Wednesday at 6:45p!!