Yesterday we looked into why Jesus chose to eat His last meal with — not His mom — not his half-brothers & sisters — but His men’s small group! (That is, His 12 Apostles…His "Band of Brothers".). The story came from Luke 22:7-36. We pointed out that Jesus was making time for 1 of our 5 purposes at Grace: "Fellowship" (i.e. a relationship which includes the spiritual dimension).
Hare some thoughts from yesterday:
- I LOVE the fact that Jesus Himself, on the eve of the most important event of His life, illustrated that small group ministry & discipling & mentoring would be frustrating, yet critical for His kingdom!
- 1 guy was a total fake (Judas)
- His leadership apprentice was about to bail on Him (Peter)
- All 12 of them were arguing about who was the greatest!
- 8 days ago, Pastor Tom Herzog beat me to the punch on this whole topic.
- Last Thursday, my wife noted our series reminded her of The Bucket List. Anyone seen it?
- The 2nd person in 2 weeks grabbed me to tell me Orange County is not L.A. I reminded him that people outside of "the OC" DO consider it part of the Greater L.A. Area. We also joked about Californian stereotypes. 🙂
- Southern Cal? "A resource-hogging, self-indulgent, me-oriented society."
- Northern Cal? "Where people are in touch with everything but reality."
- I referenced the Bible’s definition of "fellowship" from 1 John 1:3-7 — "Fellowship is a relationship on a deeper level because it adds the spiritual dimension of walking together with Jesus Christ."
- Had a great GroupLink event after services, despite the inclement weather. GroupLink is an informal connecting event for small groups with space available for new members. Our next one is March 30.