Yesterday, we had week #2 of our parenting series called "Seasons." We walked through the 3 broad stages of parenting laid out in 1 John 2:12-14.
Here are a few thoughts:
- Week #1 Emergency — Our pastors really stepped up last week when I called THE NIGHT BEFORE our series was to kickoff because of a family emergency. Brian & Tom worked into the wee hours of the night to make it happen & Brian spoke. A new person to Grace came up Sunday & said how much they appreciated the ENTIRE pastoral team we have at Grace. (I agree!)
Customization Waylaid! — We worked ahead & tried to have a custom-made video bump & "seasonal" staging for this series, like our others. Before our series started, EVERYONE involved had some sort of crisis. God canceled all our design plans & pressed the "Easy" button for us. 🙂
- Design Ideas — We had a long-time Gracer ask us
where we bought our parenting series ideas. We absolutely have done
that before (it’s wise to glean ideas from other people), but this series is 100% home-grown KS stuff!
3 Stages of Parenting — Here’s the 3 stages we talked about:
- "Little Children" (0-12) — High dependency, growing relational influence
- "Young Men" (13-19) — Becoming independent, transitional time (watch out!!!)
- "Fathers" (20 and up) — Hopefully interdependent, a time of mentoring
- Generations — Seasons change, guys. But when you navigate the seasons of parenting well, you accomplish God’s plan of reproducing another generation of Christ-followers, who reproduce another generation of Christ-followers, & so on, & so on. Check out the 4 generations listed: