Yesterday, we finished week #6 of 10 thru The First Letter of John. We looked at the subject of "Knowing Love" in 1 John 3:11-24. Got some real good feedback from people. I appreciate it. You can listen here or "Ipod" it here.
Here’s your weekend "web bonus" for the week. First, I thought I’d give you more on the story of Cain & Abel that the Apostle John referenced in 1 John 3:12:
- The full story of Cain & Able is found in Genesis 4:1-17.
- Abel believed Mom & Dad’s (i.e. Adam & Eve’s) story that the only way he could be reconciled to God was by the death of an innocent substitute. The story Adam & Eve told their kids was Genesis 3:6-10, 21.
- Abel believed the story "by faith" (i.e. he wasn’t there himself but believed what his parents told him). That’s Hebrews 11:4.
- Cain didn’t buy his Mom & Dad’s story. He decided to get all "religious" and tried to do enough good works to outweigh his bad ones. He work really, really hard & offered the very best fruits & vegetables he could produce. The problem was the ground was cursed by God (Genesis 3:17-19).
Here’s some other stuff:
- The kids from Summer Breakout did an AWESOME job helping lead worship this week. That was a serious verse they memorized this week: 1 Corinthians 9:24-25. And can I just say that I love the song, "Give me a J"? The kids rocked.
- I have met a bunch of people over the years who have received Jesus by faith, but continued to have their doubts. I’ve always taken them to 1 John 3:17-21. God remembers the truth about your spiritual family, even when you don’t. And the way to not doubt is to let God work through you (i.e. help other people).
I mentioned the rainbow-wig-guy who used to hold up John 3:16 at sporting events. His name is Rollen Stewart and here is the rest of his story. Didn’t end well.
- I want to give a shout out again to everyone to start attending the early worship at 9:00 a.m. Let’s love our community enough to start
worshiping at 9:00 a.m. and free up space for others who want to
explore faith in Christ.
P.S. If you want to read ahead for week #7 of 10, we are talking about "Knowing God’s Spirit" from 1 John 4:1-6. Be there…at the 9:00 a.m. worship of course. 🙂