What’s happened? Normally, I’m feeling great. Then all of a sudden (out of nowhere) the thoughts start pouring over me like a dark waterfall of negativity. And I’m thinking "Where is THIS coming from???"
I told my wife about it when it happened for a few days and said: "It’s weird. It’s like I’m being tempted to be depressed. I’m not giving into the temptation, but it’s still sitting there in the pit of my stomach like a big, hollow ache." She replied, "Are you sure it’s depression? Are you sure it’s not oppression?"
The Bible talks a lot about depression ("being brought low"):
- David got depressed (Psalm 143:3-4)
- Elijah got depressed (1 Kings 19:4)
- Paul got depressed (2 Corinthians 1:8)
- It’s NORMAL to be tempted with depression
- Some GREAT Christ-followers were (see David Brainerd’s diary)
- Feelings are finicky…we CANNOT trust or be guided by our feelings
- God gives us the supernatural ability to REJOICE in Him, even when we don’t "feel" it (1Th 5:16-18)
- And sometimes, our Heavenly Dad just wants us to find comfort in Him (1Sam 30:6)