Meg is the author/editor of our Perspectives Exposure book, that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Her topic was "Culture" and she did a GREAT job. Here are my "take-aways" from tonight:
- "Culture is the silent language."
- "Culture is a complex system that is non-conscious — people often aren’t aware of their own cultural rules until they are broken."
- "Culture is learned by instruction & imitation, and is constantly changing."
- Examples of different cultures:
- In Navajo culture, you don’t look directly at someone’s eyes because it might expose you to witchcraft.
- A missionary in Africa named their newborn child after the local chieftain to honor him. The family was kicked out of the tribe for stealing [the chieftain’s name, reputation, etc.].
- In Amman, Jordan it’s not uncommon to have people in your home for 12-15 hours/day.
- In the USA, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is generally recognized as the best movie ever. [Ok…that one’s mine.]
So, take a couple seconds right now & post your thoughts about Meg’s session! Thots?