I thought I’d touch base on the readings each of the 5 weeks of our Perspectives Exposure series.
There were 5 articles in Chapter 1 – "Biblical Exposure – Understanding God’s Story."
Here’s my 1-2 big things from each of the articles.
1. "The Bible in World Evangelism"
- Favorite quote — "…the degree of the church’s commitment to world evangelization is commensurate with the degree of its conviction about the authority of the Bible." (So true. If God’s word isn’t 100% true, so what?? Why waste our time??)
2. "The Living God is a Missionary God"
- Favorite quote — "History is not a random flow of events." (God is the God of history. It’s His-Story.)
- Different way to say same thing — "Old Testament prophecy…not a single but usually a triple fulfillment – past, present, and future." (That’s what we’ve taught for years at Grace. There are 3 applications to every Scripture: historical = past, inspirational/personal = present, doctrinal/prophetic = future.)
3. "A Mind for Missions: The Old Testament Scriptures"
- Favorite quote — "Through Abraham and his descendants, God again took the initiative to bring His blessing and redemption to all the earth." (Wow.)
- Favorite quote #2? He chooses to use us but is not dependent on us." (Glad for that!)
4. "A Man for All Peoples"
- Favorite quote — "Jesus exploited the following encounters with Gentiles and Samaritans to help His disciples think in cross-cultural terms." (Always teaching. Always challenging his disciples — and us — to question their assumptions.)
5. "Opening the Door"
- Favorite quote — "…how much more should all cultures be welcomed as believers, regardless of how different they are from us…[not] expecting them to become like us." (Alright. Cultural elitism is a hot-button of mine. It’s so easy for people to cross the thin, red line from "God uses our culture" to "God endorses our culture as a mandate.")
Post your thoughts/ideas/questions from the readings here. And keep listening for God’s "still, small voice!"