I've been training for a 3:20 marathon which would qualify for the Boston Marathon. That's averaging 7:38/mile for 26.2 miles. (Yes, I know that KC is a TERRIBLE marathon to try to qualify for Boston there. It's way too hilly. That's ok. I had to shoot for something.) 🙂
Here's what I did in my first 3 marathons:
- 2002 KC Humana = 3:42:25 (8:29/mi)
- 2003 Columbia HOA = 3:51:00 (8:49/mi)
- 2005 KC Waddell = 3:57:01 (9:03/mi)
- 2008 KC Waddell = Who Knows???
After running for a while, I can guess these 10 things will happen tomorrow…
- I'll have a great time praying with Grace Runners at 6:30a (at 22nd & Grand)
- I'll struggle not to run my first miles TOO FAST (vs. 20 secs slow to warm up)
- My wife will be a ray of hope on the sideline every few miles (she's AWESOME!)
- I will be praying BIG TIME ("Dear God, help! HHHHHEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!")
- At some point I will swear I will NEVER do this again (all do at some point)
- My body will CRY OUT for me to give up on the HUGE uphill from mile 19-23
- When I finish, they'll want to escort my ashen-faced self to the Medi-Tent 🙂
- I'll be sick for several hours after (yes, LITERALLY feeling like I have the flu)
- I'll limp around for the next 2-3 days (and stairs will be a KILLER!)
- After a couple weeks, I'll think, "That wasn't SO bad! When's my next one?"
I'll let you know what happens!