This weekend at Grace Church, we'll be looking at Nehemiah 2 and talking about Nehemiah gained CONFIDENCE from God as he heard "The Voices of Confirmation" — as he heard God speak to him in a variety of ways, which confirmed what God was saying.
Here's the question — How do people "hear God"? How does God confirm what He is saying too us? How can you know what God's will is or God's plan is for your life?
Reminds me of a blog post I made a few years ago called Finding God's Plan for You. Here were the key thoughts:
- God speaks thru the Bible – Is it clearly right or wrong? (Psalm 119:133, James 2:10)
- God speaks thru prayer – Have you prayed and waited for an answer? (James 1:5, Luke 18:1-8)
- God speaks thru the Holy Spirit – Is God's Spirit telling you “No”? (Acts 16:6, Romans 8:14)
- God speaks thru praise music – Have you meditated to Biblically-sound music? (Colossians 3:16)
- God speaks thru circumstances – Do you have a legitimate opportunity? (Acts 16:7, Colossians 4:3)
- God speaks thru who God made you – Are you an "eye" trying to be an "ear"? (1 Corinthians 12:17-18)
- God speaks thru Bible direction – Has God spoken to you in the word? (Jeremiah 32:6-8)
- God speaks thru your spiritual leaders – What have they said? (Hebrews 13:17)
- God speaks thru other spiritual counselors – What have they said? (Proverbs 11:14)
- God speaks thru your desires - What do you want to do? (1 Corinthians 16:12, Psalm 37:4)
These aren't the only ways God speaks to us. God speaks to people through creation, conscience, the cross of Christ, dreams, etc. But the 10 ways listed above, along with their Bible references, are a good place to start.
God speaks to us.
Are we listening?