I finished the book Back to Jerusalem recently. It’s a book about God’s missionary call on the Chinese house churches, who have experienced such horrible suffering, persecution, & torture over the last several decades from their government.
Many believers, who can trace their spiritual lineage directly through one of my heroes, Hudson Taylor, believe:
1. God started a missionary movement 2000 years ago with Jesus in Jerusalem.
2. The movement has generally been east to west. (Interestingly, that’s the same direction the sun moves & "The Son of God" will return, according to Matthew 24:27.)
3. God is calling the Chinese church to evangelize the unreached people groups between China & Jerusalem (AKA "The 10/40 Window").
I loved this book & wish everybody would read it to learn so much about what God is doing in other places in this world. Here were some things that struck me:
- Neither I, nor anyone I personally know, have ANY inkling about the deep, inhuman suffering for Christ our Chinese brothers have faced. The stories are stunning.
- The Chinese church is NEITHER praying for the end of their government, NOR for the end of their persecution. Instead, they are fearful of cultural success & acceptance, which would lead to Christian complacency.
- The Chinese church believes that God used Communism to pave the way for the spread of Christianity by (1) establishing a national language, (2) improving literacy, (3) improving transportation & infrastructure, (4) removing idolatry, and (5) preparing the church to suffer & die in foreign lands by persecuting them.
- Made me wish God would give me a chance to help. Who wants to live a safe, sanitized, listless form of Christianity? NOT ME! (People lay on their death bed wishing they would have taken MORE chances with their lives…not less.)
For more info on their org, check out BackToJerusalem.com.