Do you ever notice that God is speaking to you because everywhere you turn, you see the same thing over-and-over? I’ve lived it this week.
This week, everywhere I turn, I have been seeing the truth that, sometimes when people get stressed/frustrated/short/angry, it’s not for the reason you think they are. Whatever seemed to cause their frustration was simply "the straw the broke the camel’s back". It wasn’t the real, underlying issue that was actually causing the pressure.
Cases in point (changed to protect the real conversations):
- Why did he get so frustrated about that comment from his coworker? (It’s not the comment. There are other, deeper pressures at work.)
- Why did she get so inordinately angry about that email exchange? (It’s not the email. The burdens have been stacking up and the "last straw" was the email stream.)
- Why did that moment with their wife, or husband, or parent, or child seem to set them off? (It wasn’t that moment. The real issues have been building up over the course of time.)
As I said, I experienced it this week (Monday):
- "Hold on!" I said to myself. "Why is this little thing making me so uptight?"
- When I pressed <PAUSE> and dug a little deeper into my soul, I found it wasn’t them…it was me.
- Did you know that it’s easier to fix something when you know why it’s not right? (An ingenious thought, I realize…) 🙂
Anyway, it reminded me of the truth of:
- Not judging situations based on appearances (John 7:24)
- Not judging situations based on first impressions (Proverbs 18:17)
- Avoiding the mistake of attributing problems to the wrong reason (Lamentations 2:14)
- When you let God lead you, you will have inner peace NO MATTER WHAT anyone else does or says or what happens to you (Psalm 23:1-3 — read that this morning in my daily time with God…)
Have you ever run into a situation around every corner & KNEW God was speaking to you? 🙂